In our almost 50 years of business, we’ve heard our fair share of bad advice about outdoor power equipment. Below are some of the most common myths our customers have been told by others and commonly believe:
- “It doesn't matter what oil you use as long as it’s oil.” This is absolutely not true. We see people trying to use auto transmission oil in engines and hydraulic fluid as engine oil, which can ruin your engine and be a costly repair.
- “Any belt will work.” People sometimes try to use automotive belts in place of a lawnmower belt. These won’t work because they aren’t made to bend backwards like our lawnmower belts.
- “You never have to clean your deck out.” For proper maintenance, you should inspect the underside of your mower for grass buildup and scrape it off if needed. This will ensure your quality of cut remains high.
- “You only need to sharpen blades once a year.” You should sharpen your lawn mower blades at least three times a year.
- “Any trimmer line will work.” Your trimmer has a specific sized line that it uses. If you’re unsure of what size it needs, call us with the model number and we can help you figure it out.
- “There is no wrong way to put a lawn mower blade on.” If you follow this advice, you may accidentally put your blades on upside down.
**Bonus** “You don’t need a model number because there’s only one kind of (insert part).” Just like there are different kinds of lawn mowers, there are different parts that make up each one. If you can’t find the model number on the part you need, bring in the part if possible so we can find the correct replacement.
So save yourself the trouble and headache that is sure to come by following this advice, and call us instead if you are unsure of anything concerning your outdoor power equipment!