Despite what seems to be the never-ending winter, spring is just around the corner. We’ve had a few 50° days and that has all of us at Humphreys’ ready to head into a new mowing season. As we get ready for spring and while the weather is still a little too cold to start working outside, it’s a great time to make sure that your outdoor trimmers, chainsaws, and other Stihl handheld equipment is ready for the upcoming spring. Here is our list of things to check before spring takes full effect:
- Check all Spark Plugs: Most Stihl equipment takes a Bosch WSR6F with a gap of .025-.030.
- Check Air Filters: make sure there is no dust or debris in the filter so you can start the 2014 season right.
- Look for any broken parts or damaged parts on your trimmer or saw.
- Check all screws and nuts on the unit and make sure they’re tight. Replace all broken screws.
- Make sure you’re chainsaw chains are sharp. This is also a good time of year to replace trimmer line that has been in your trimmer all year!
- Make sure you have plenty of lubricants. This includes bar and chain oil and 2 cycle gas mix for your saw so that you don’t have to stop a job prematurely.
- Make sure that you have a separate gas can for 2 cycle gas.
- Make sure you have the right gas. The gas that you’re mixing needs to be fresh and should ideally not contain ethanol. This way you never use the wrong gas in your handheld power equipment.
- Make sure that everyone who will be using the 2 cycle equipment knows which gas can to use.
- Clean any sprayers you have used last summer to ensure there is no harmful chemical residue.
- Check the deflectors on your outdoor trimmer to make sure it isn’t cracked or broken.
- Make sure that you have the protective apparel you’ll need for the upcoming season; this includes, gloves, eye protection, and chaps.
One of the easiest ways to make sure you’re equipment is ready to go is to bring it in to our shop and have our certified Stihl mechanics go through annual inspections. While you’re here feel free to replace any damaged parts, trimmer line, chain, or lubricants you might need for the upcoming season. Check out our guide to taking the pain our of parts purchasing. Bring your equipment in today or give us a call and we’ll help you get your equipment ready for spring! For additional you can also check out Stihl's tips for getting your equipment ready for spring.